Here’s this year’s final rundown of our favorite pieces of 5G news and stories about emerging and innovative technologies. To follow the series, check back here every week and look out for #5Gin5 posts from @Facesof5G.
1. Collaboration Connection – “The future of workplace collaboration is firmly rooted in 5G,” according to Lifesize CTO Bobby Beckmann. Data shows that remote work and collaborative tools are expanding at a staggering pace, and that will continue with 5G as it offers people mobility and quality gains. Video conferencing, for example, will be crisper. For additional insight, read more here.
2. 5G Safety – “Worried about 5G’s health effects? Don’t be,” says WIRED contributing writer Klint Finley. This comes on the heels of a report from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which cited the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in saying “the weight of scientific evidence has not linked cell phones with any health problems.” Read more here and here.
3. Rural 5G Fund – To connect rural communities across America, the FCC announced a $9 billion 5G wireless fund. According FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, “We must ensure that 5G narrows rather than widens the digital divide and that rural Americans receive the benefits that come from wireless innovation.” Read more here.
4. Future of Robotics – Verizon Senior Strategic Partnership Manager Weimin Liu talked with Robotics Tomorrow about how Verizon 5G is powering the future of robotics. He said, “Robots are already deployed in retail, hospitality, manufacturing, healthcare, emergency services, and other areas. With 5G, robots will do the jobs they already do much better and 5G will unlock other capabilities we don’t even know are possible yet.” Read more here.
5. Prediction for 2020 – Cisco Global Director of Mobility and 5G Bob Everson thinks “the debate about whether 5G is truly here will come to a close in 2020, and we will ‘actually experience what it can do in many markets.’” Read more here.